Microwaves: The Appliances Kelowna Homeowners Are Returning To

Microwaves: The Appliances Kelowna Homeowners Are Returning To
High-end microwaves are one of the appliances Kelowna home cooks are using more frequently in the kitchen.

Traditionally, microwaves have only been used to perform a limited number of tasks: making popcorn, reheating and defrosting food and zapping ready-made meals. You could never really count on them to cook a proper meal because they tended to heat inconsistently. Thanks to inverter technology, the appliances Kelowna residents were once reluctant to use are rising in popularity.

Let’s say you have a traditional microwave and you want to cook something at a 70 per cent power setting. The magnetron tube (the thing that generates microwaves to heat your food) will alternate between operating at full power for 70 per cent of the time and turning off completely for the remaining 30 per cent. As you can see, it’s not overly conducive to cooking food evenly.

With inverter technology, microwaves like this full-size Panasonic can reduce the power emitted by the magnetron so that it cooks food at 70 per cent power throughout the cooking cycle. This greatly increases your ability to cook food with more predictable results.

 

High-speed Cooking

Microwaves were already renowned as the appliances Kelowna home cooks use to heat things quickly. Now, they’re even faster. Companies like Jenn-Air have combined the speed of microwaving with the precision of convection cooking to yield faster, more consistent results.

 

Cooking with Steam

Steam has long been regarded as a quick, healthy and convenient way to cook food. It shouldn’t be surprising that this feature is now being integrated into high-end microwaves.

There is a 30-inch built-in model by KitchenAid that features a setting that steams food based on type and selected doneness. The unit even comes with a special container to help you achieve the best cooking results.

For people who are shopping for a steam oven, a microwave with a steam setting might be a more economical choice. However, if you’re set on a steam oven, read our post: Why Our Vernon Appliances Experts Love the Versatility of Steam.

 

Drawer Microwaves

Microwave configurations have come along way from the countertop models of yesteryear, and drawer microwaves are one of newer options. The cooking experts at Wolf claim their 30-inch Drawer Microwave is capable of cooking:

  • Chicken cordon bleu
  • Glazed salmon
  • Swiss sauce cauliflower
  • Meatloaf

 

Over-the-Range Microwaves

Designed to act as both a microwave and a vent hood, over-the-range microwaves have actually been around for a while. The power of their built-in fans is measured in cubic feet per minute (CFM), with higher end models reaching 300 CFM. If you’re cooking on your range, you can use the fan to remove irritants such as:

  • Smoke
  • Steam
  • Heat (if it’s vented outside)
  • Odours

 

Built-In Microwaves

When it comes to appliances Kelowna homeowners choose for remodeling their kitchens, built-in microwaves are a sought-after option. They can be installed at eye-level and their sleek design lets them integrate nicely for a seamless look.

 

 

Are you interested in upgrading to the top kitchen appliances Kelowna home cooking enthusiasts recommend? Come and talk to the experts at Genier’s in Vernon. We have the top makes and models available on the market.


Topics

Click any topic to see all related articles:


Manufacturer Special Offers

Live Appliance Showroom